Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It’s September and it’s 58 degrees outside this morning: I woke up cold. The weather all week is supposed to be sunny, but temperatures aren’t predicted to break 80. Sweet. Good weather to exist in.

My brother-in-law Frank is sleeping on the couch, but he erupts with excited talking and loud snores every few minutes. Sounds like he’s telling someone off. Awhile ago he muttered, “Yeah you’re goddam right.” I guess his dreams are pretty exciting. He’s done a lot of work around the old house here in Laurel, helping to fix it up. He doesn’t work steady or even have a regular place to crash as far as I know. No squeeze, no flop, it’s a wonder he’s not suicidal. A lot of the chaos in his life is the result of some bad choices or bad luck or a mixture of both, but I’m not sure how we would’ve got so much done if he was a really responsible type with a regular job. He’s really been a huge help.

So anyway, the weekend. Since moving to Laurel I think we’ve been more social and active than we were for eight years in the trailer. I told Sikki for years that the confining space of the doublewide (and the singlewide before that) made having people over an insufferable pain. Just the thought of being cramped in a box with a lot of other human beings and having nowhere to sit or go for air — not quite like Jews in a cattle car, really, but not far from it in my mind.

Friday we sort of talked about what we were going to do over the weekend. Saturday I went to hang out with Daniel and Andre, just to talk and goof around. We went to Wings To Go and I ate enough hot wings to be sick with the spurts until Monday morning. Then Saturday night Dre’s niece Bre babysat so Sikki and Danielle could meet us at Daniel’s, along with a lot of other people, to watch a UFC fight. That was a boring male soap opera and Daniel was a rotten host, but it was nice to shoot the breeze with people, especially a guy named Brett. We were up till 1 or 2 on Sunday morning, so we basically took it easy during the first part of the day. In the afternoon I had to go get Andre in Milford and take him to his car in Millsboro. He’d gotten into a tiff with his wife over some stupid thing. I filmed him acting out the story of how he’d taken a nasty crap in the woods near Georgetown on 113. Then I came home and cleared wood piles out of the front yard until dark while Jess went to take a load of wood to her uncle and pick  up her brother to come back to the house. Yesterday (Monday) I took off work so we could try and get some of the windows done in the girl’s room. Daniel and one of his helpers replaced the roof over the downstairs bathroom, which was rotted and leaking. Pastor John came over and he and Frank did most of the window work. Rachel B came over to visit with Rebekah. Julia from next door was in and out with baby Malachi; she had lunch with us. Frank finished the floor in The Cave. We got pizza ‘n’ Pepsi for dinner.

I am broke. Beyond broke. I have no idea how all of this is going to be paid for. But it’s a nice house, a nice place to live and have kids running around. I still believe it was God’s idea, the timing and circumstances and everything that led up to us moving here.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s